Hamilton County Department of Literacy
Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment
- K – 5th grade students will be assessed using the Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment 3 times yearly (beginning, middle, end).
- Students in 6th grade who scored basic or below basic on the state assessment will be benchmarked 2 times a year (August and December/January). It will be a school-based decision regarding the administration of the May assessment.
- Benchmarking additional students using the Fountas and Pinnell Kit in grades 6th – 8th will be a school-based decision.
- Each teacher of grades K-5 and reading/English teachers of 6-8 will complete the designated Hamilton County Progress Data Log and submit to the Office of Literacy after each benchmark assessment.
- Teachers are NOT to use the Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Kit for any reason except for the designated assessments (see below). Schools will receive additional assessment tools and strategies to use between the assigned benchmark dates.
Scholastic Reading Inventory (SRI)
- Students in middle school will no longer complete the on-line Scholastic Reading Inventory. The Universal Screener (MAP) will provide the information provided by the SRI (lexile level).
- Students in grades 9th – 10th will complete the SRI. It will be a school-based decision regarding assessing additional students using this assessment.
Literacy Interim Assessments
- The district will not issue interim assessments in literacy
- Literacy interim assessments will be made available for K-5. It will be a school-based decision regarding the administration. Schools will be responsible for scoring the assessment.